Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"The Ambassadors" by Henry James

So I have started this book and have not made it through the introduction of the book. The introduction was written by Kyle Patrick Smith. It is actually very interesting as it gives me a look into Henry James life. My favorite part if this introduction so far is when Kyle Patrick Smith uses a quote from Henry James about how you should read his book "The Ambassadors", James suggests that you only read 5 pages per day to let the ideas settle. This is on page xvi of the intro.

I think that once I get there I will probably read more than 5 pages but it may be that I stop at the 5. However, reading and reporting on only 5 pages in a 442 page book may be a bit daunting for the writer of this blog as well as potential readers of the blog.

" The Ambassadors" by Henry James was originally written in 1903. My copy was published by Barnes and Nobles in 2007 and was obtained from my local library.

Henry James was born April 15, 1843 and died February 15, 1916. I can only wonder what he would have written after WWI, as he seemed to be somewhat disgruntled with the some of the norms of the day.
This is my first post on this book, hopefully it will not be too long before I write the final post for this
book. I only have until mid August to borrow the book, but I can always renew. I am also reading another book at the same time called "The Water is Wide", by Pat Conroy. This is my book club book so I may add some thoughts on this book as well when I finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment