Sunday, November 4, 2012

Reviewing "The Art of Racing in the Rain." by Garth Stein

The pet story has become a recent genre of books, from cats, dogs, parrots and other animals we have loved and lost, some true and some fictitious. This book is unique in that it is the point of view of an old dog named Enzo. We learn about his condition from the first few paragraphs. Then we are introduced to Denny, his human companion.

This story is full of laughs, hardships, and death told through Enzo. How he feels when Denny first brings Eve into their lives. It is all the emotions of a human, which is what Enzo desperately wants to be. He wants to be rid of his old form to come back as a human. Enzo likes to watch TV and finds that in Mongolia that the next step for a dog is humanity.

Enzo does not believe that we were descended from apes and lists several reasons why this is not even possible.

THough I knew what was going to happen in the end to Enzo, I was surprised by all the sadness and anger I felt for the humans in this story. There were times I wanted Enzo to take revenge on the "Twins" especially the way they treated Denny. I wanted Zoe to demand to go home. But in the end I cried.

It took me three days to read the book. I knew but I cried. The end sequence reminded me so much of my dear departed dog. THe release I had to give her, that I remembered all vividly. My husband said why would you read a book that you know would remind you of that day. I said it was a book club pick. You see I passed it several times in the store, refusing to pick it up. But alas, I read it and my emotions flew out of me.

IT was a good book and I think if a knew 100 books list would come out this one should be on it. It is one of my 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment