Thursday, May 16, 2013

Beloved Reviewed

I have just finished the book Beloved by Toni Morrison. I have to say that it was a very informative, descriptive and scary book. The words put up images that I would like to forget, especially the scene in the shed. This gets elaborated on throughout the book, so it starts off with just a suggestion and then little by little the truth is revealed. Other scenes are described and the idea that a ghost could manifest itself into a living breathing person, is somewhat scary. Especially when that ghost is possibly your child. I loved when Paul D arrives and the heat and anger of the ghost is red hot. That the mother just accepts this ghost because it is her child and she is feeling guilty. She does not seem to care about the living child, the one who has stayed with her from birth. But there are lots of stories of mother/ daughter separations in this book. Slavery caused families to be torn apart as soon as the children were of age and sometimes before. But what makes a mother try to kill her children, what is the lesser of the two evils? A very eye opening book. I wish I could shut out some of the scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment