Saturday, June 22, 2013

Alice in Wonderland

It seems that I have slid back to not writing as frequently as I should for thus blog. But I finished Alice in Wonderland and for the fun of it Alice Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. Being an adult I am thinking what stimulus was he on to create such characters and scenarios. But according to his biographies there is no mention of drugs though he may have suffered from migrains and he stuttered. His real name was Charles L. Dodgson. He wrote several books but none as popular as the Alice books. He died shortly before his 66th birthday from pneumonia. What little girl would not like to be involved in such an adventure. I used to traipse through the woods and look for all sorts of fun things, creating stories as I went. TO fall into a rabbit hole and alternately becoming large and small, would be a grand adventure, or to walk through a mirror to an alternate universe. Surely, a very imaginative and curious mind did our Mr. Dodgson have when stretching our conscious reality. Through the Looking Glass is concept that has been used in many a horror show or in current TV shows such as Fringe. TO walk into another universe, but even to walk into on where all the books you read are backwards, reminds me of Manga. Fun fantasy. Lots of poems especially in Through the Looking Glass. In the back of that story is another poem in which the letters spell out a child's name Alice Liddell, the girl who got Charles started by sharing the story he had written with another author, who then talked him into publishing the book. So next time you are looking for something adventurous you might want to look into Lewis Carrols work. I am going to try to find "Hunting Snarks." But I will finish Gatsby next and also discuss with you a book I read for my book club called LONE WOLF by Jodi Picoult.

No comments:

Post a Comment