Monday, September 22, 2014

Midnight's Children-still reading

MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN by Salman Rushdie, published by Alfred A. Knopf, INC., a Borzoi Book. My copy was published in 1981.
.
I am in love with this book. I love the quirkiness of the characters, especially our storytellers wife Padma. My favorite part is her bugging him to hurry up and tell the story. Close to the end of book one we have a fast .synopsis of what we have been told so far, and Padma makes the best statement, 'At last,' Padma says with satisfaction, 'you've learned how to tell things really fast.' (page 108)

There have been many books I have read where you just want them to get on with the story, there are sometimes in this book that happens for me, but not too often. I love the descriptions and the mannerisms of the people, it builds a richness of character. I am in the middle of Book Two and hope to finish by this weekend or sooner. So far a great read.

In the back of the book it is compared to One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Marquez, I can see the connection and the richness of the both cultures from the development of characters in both stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment