Saturday, August 15, 2015

New Book and review of the book THE ROSIE PROJECT

I have started, a little bit ago, a book that I had trouble finding in either the library or the book store. I can find the sequels to this book but the only place I could find SWALLOWS AND AMAZONS by Arthur Ransome is online. It is a children's tale of 4 children on a summer adventure. I am 53% thru the book according to my Kindle. So far it is a pretty fun book. I will let you know about the book when I finish, hopefully, in the next few days. It is a pretty fast read.

I have also been reading a book called THE ROSIE PROJECT by Graeme Simsion. This is a great book about a man who has Asperger's syndrome, I think, who has been told by several people that he should find a companion or a wife. The book is set in Australia, with some time spent in the States. That he needed to get out and date people. Here is a man who has a routine for everything and is awkward around social situations. I do not have Asperger's but I definitely can relate to awkward around social situation. I had many a day growing up when my mom would tell me to think before I spoke. Usually, because I would repeat something she would say to the person she said it about, so I was always in trouble. I also have a hard time in crowds, trying to be part of different conversations. But it seems that our character Dr. Tillman, had ways to deal with this problem.

Anyway, he decides that maybe he should find the perfect wife, so he makes a questionnaire that he will have women either fill out or answer when on a date. He tries it on women at speed dating site, telling them that he was going to ask a set a questions then they could talk about what ever they wanted, this did not go over so well and they ended up starring at each other. Some of his criteria he just used his eyes to figure out, like a woman's BMI, or how late they are when they are going to an event.

While this is happening he has a friend Gene who is married, but is sleeping with woman from all over the world. He has a map that he puts a pin into when he has met that goal. He tells Tillman that they he and his wife have an open marriage. They are Tillman's best friends and Claudia is the person that Tillman likes to discuss his ideas about everything. This is true especially since he started the WIFE PROJECT. Gene fixes him up with someone who does not fit the parameters of the WIFE PROJECT, her name is Rosie. She has no idea that she is meeting a man trying to find a wife and Tillman automatically rules her out when she arrives late for a date, part of his rules on being timely to an event.

They become friends and set about on a different project, the FATHER PROJECT. Lots of projects in this book, lots of changes in the characters as they maneuver through these projects. A really good book.

Publishing Information: published in 2013 by HarperCollins Publishers LTD. It was first published in Australia by The Text Publishing Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment