Sunday, February 28, 2016

All the Light We Cannot See-review

ALLTHE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE by Anthony Doer, published by Scribner in 2014, winner of the Pulitzer Prize.
What words can be used to describe this book? I have thought of a few but do they really give the essence of the book. So here are my few, mystical in terms of the Sea of Flames s stone believed to destroy lives and yet gives life to the owner. This piece weaves the tale and brings two lives together and yet destroys those around them. Transformative- our characters due to the war have to become something that they would not have normally become if they had been able to live their life without interference. The biggest transformaton is Werner, who goes from an orphan gifted in the art of mechanics and engineering, who is dropped into the schooling for Hitler Youth. He sees this as a stepping stone and is honored, his sister sees this as his downfall. It is only after his friend Frederick who is forced by his parents to go to this school gets hurt by the other boys that he sees a problem.
But what else can he do, one way or another he will have to serve for Hitler.

I have said this before, I like books that make me think, that teach me new things. In this book it was about the recruitment of the youth. I knew that they recruited youth and that the parents let them go because they felt it was an honor. I did not know they had specific schools of learning, before they were sent out into the war. I was amazed at the ferocity of the boys and officers to the students, the scenes where the boys were singuled out made me want to cry. If the Nazis could do that to their own students, I can see why they would not care if they did it to anyone else. I think this is the scare tactic that put all nations onto high alert. Educational and maddining would be words I would use for these scenes.

Then of course there is poor Marie-Laure, a young girl full of life, blinded right after learning about the cursed stone. Who is loved by all, especially her father, who has been tasked with hiding the stone or the replica of the stone. When they learn about the Nazis coming he grabs his daughter and they flee to an Uncles house. Where her life is turned upside down, with fear. Her father forbids her to leave the house because he has heard what becomes of blind children. His fears cause his capture. I will not get to all the details, but another word to use especially for Marie-Laure is resilience, perserverence and determination.

I have read other WWII books and I am always amazed at the people who turn others in for rewards. Who give up information sometimes without being asked so that they can gain favor with the oppressors. This book has some of the same scenarios. It saddens me that this happens and it makes me wonder, would I do that? Would I be so desperate for food, that I would turn in another human being for a loaf of bread.
This is a great book, I look forward to reading his other stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment