Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Almost done

I am almost finished Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. I lost it and finally realized the last time that I had read it was while in bed. Apparently, in my sleep I knocked it off the table and forgot where it was. But today is cleaning day and I looked under my bed, heavens, and there it was still with the bookmark in place thankfully.

I do want to make a comment about the book. I have lived in DC and Norfolk, VA and thought those were large places, similar to this stories heroine, Carol Kennicott in her town of St. Paul, Minnesota. When my husband finished hi s obligation to the services we moved to a small town. I feel for this character who finds herself under the microscope of all the people in town. In DC or Norfolk, you can go everywhere without running into someone you know, just like our character states in her circumstances for moving from St. PAul to a small prairie town. In my small town, my husband was wearing sweats when he went to the store and ran into several people who asked if he was feeling okay. Everwhere we go we run into someone accessing us and this is what happens in this book.

But in the same token, Carol, has judged these people as being inadequate because they are not like big city folk. This is what she wanted to do was to change a small town into a large town, to redesign the city. I am not sure what she thought she would have to do to do this but there are many lessons in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment