Friday, August 23, 2013

The Cloud Atlas by david Mitchell

Okay, so in my last report I said I was reading the CLOUD but it is the CLOUD ATLAS. I think my brain was in the clouds, too much drama in my life to think. So I am on the third section of this book. Wasn't I surprised when the first section ended mid-sentence only to find that the rest of the sentence was at the back of the book along with the last chapter. I had a thought, how do I read this, should I cheat and go all the way to that chapter then go back to section 2 read that next section, which coincidently is the next to the last chapter, or do I go I just read it page to page like any book? I was tempted by the first option, but decided to be boring an read page for page. The first section is called THE PACIFIC JOURNAL OF ADAM EWING, I am not sure when the timing is but I am thinking sometime in the 1800's. The second section is called LETTERS FROM ZEDELGHEM and is set in 1930's, in this section we have a brief mention of the journal of Adam Ewing and Zedelghem is writing to the one of the characters in the next section Sixsmith. Now the third section is called THE HALF-LIVES OF THE FIRST LUISA REY MYSTERY, this is what makes me become interested in the book. She meets Sixsmith when they are stuck in an elevator and he tells her about a problem with a nuclear plant. HE ends up dead but not before he makes an interesting statement, that he has been carrying around Zedelhem's letters for a century. HE also says that he is 66 years old, which makes me curious on how he can have held the letters for a century and what time is this third section set in. Plus also curious, how many Luisa Rey's are there and what is a half-life? See curiosity piqued.

No comments:

Post a Comment