Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Two books read while I was on vacation

When I go on vacation I usually try to find a book or two based in the area I am traveling to, in this case Chicago. I went to the local library and retrieved three books, one of which I got for my husband but he enjoyed another book of mine so much that he did not get a chance to read the book I had obtained for him. One of the books I picked up had actually been recommended by a friend and at the time I did not know it had anything to do with Chicago, it was a fun surprise to find as I was reading it that the author was from the Lake Shore area. It was not fiction but a memoir of her life in 2012. It is the book that my husband thought was hilarious. In fact, he wondered where she had hid the cameras in our house. I have to say that Jen Lancaster is a bit more put together then I am, it was a fun book to read and while my husband was in his classes I had to read ahead in the book. He would always break out laughing every two to three sentences and read me the passages. The book is called "THE TAO OF MARTHA". If you have not read any of her books please put it on your book list. The second book I read was called "CITY OF ASH" by Megan Chance. This book started in Chicago but ended up in Seattle. The city in ash was Seattle and not as I had earlier surmised the city of Chicago. The book is about a socialite who is not playing her "position" in the correct manner, especially after she becomes a married woman. Her husband and her father conspire against her , she has two choices, move with her husband to Seattle or be committed. There more conspiring occurs which puts Ginny in contact with the theater and two people who will forever be entwined with her: Sebastian and Beatrice. Beatrice is a actress and Sebastian is a playwright. They are both introduced to Ginny through her husband. A good book as it made me get furious with Ginny's husband Nathan and actually a little furious with Ginny herself. This character was supposed to be smart, but she let her fantasy world derail her. She did not stop to think of anyone but herself, she kept forgetting how conniving her husband was. I really would have liked to kick her in the pants and I guess that is what Beatrice did, sort of. Two good books, next 100 book will still be "THE CLOUD" but also "GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN" by James Baldwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment