Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Hamlet review

HAMLET by William Shakespeare?, my copy was in THE COMPLETE OXFORD SHAKESPEARE, III-Tradgedies, published by Oxford Press in 1987. The book play starts on page 1121 with an introduction and backstory why the play was written and some questions about the multitude of copies with additions and subtractions to the story. In the back of this play are the scenes that had been left out in the copy that I read. I have to be truthful, I have never sat down and read all of Shakespeare, I do prefer to see it acted out. The thing is I have this series all which is divided into sections: Histories, Comedies and Tragedies, so I think I will read some of them maybe not all of them.

One of the difficulties I had was getting into a rhythm to read the account of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark. I would be rolling along and it was if Shakespeare, went hold on lets trip them up a bit, I'll add some rhyming sections and then throw them into the wind. That is why I thought the part: Act 3 scene 2, line 273, Hamlet is talking to Horatio and has just finished saying
           " A whole one, I.
           For thou dost know, O Damon dear,
             This realm was
           Of Jove himself, and now reigns here
             A very, very -pajock"
Horatio: You might have rhymed.,
was rather funny, because I was thinking the same exact thing.

Anyway we have lovely passages in this tragic story of murder, betrayal, madness and revenge. In the end well, if you have ever seen the play or had to read snippets in English class, you know how it ends. IF you have not done any of those things, then read the play. It is not that difficult and you may be surprised at the number of passages you have heard people use around you. Things like "Get thee to a nunnery" or "To be or not to be; that is the question:" It is so much fun to read things in context and see how much Shakespeare contributed with his plays. O

You may ask, "Why did you put a question mark next to William Shakespeare," well there has always been some little controversy about whether he did or did not write theses plays. and the introduction says that in 1598, this play was not attributed to Shakespeare, and there is a person named James Roberts that was recognized as the playwright in 1602 for one called The Revenge of Hamlet Prince [of] Denmark. Just like Shakespeare's plays, his life was full of controversy.


No comments:

Post a Comment