Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Foreign Language

It seems that every book I have read, has incorporated a foreign language component. In LOLITA and BRIDESHEAD REVISITED, it was French. That has been the case for most books written by British and some American writers. In UNDER THE VOLCANO, I will be brushing up on my Spanish. But here is the funny part, my humor, we are also speaking broken English and I mean really broken English. So broken that I had to reread the dialogue twice in the first few pages. I have heard dialogue with broken English at the movies, but this is worse. I will have to see when it was written, if the author traveled to Mexico, and see if I can figure out who he is imitating in this dialogue. More later, just thought it was interesting. I wonder in order to be a great novel do you have to incorporate a foreign language and not interpreted it for the reader. I am glad I had three years of French it has helped immensely to decipher the passages.

Back to reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment