Friday, July 22, 2016

Review: Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

FLIGHT BEHAVIOR by Barbara Kingsolver, published in 2012 by Harper-Collins Publishers. I had the privilege to be invited by my friend to see Ms. Kingsolver speak at a local university. I have to say that I was enthralled by her writing method. I especially liked how she formed her story boards, using pictures of people that helped her visualize their characteristics. Very interesting talk.

How is the best way to get out of a marriage? Do you- (a) act mature and talk with your spouse, (b) realize that this is a good marriage and stay, or (c) think you are in love with someone and try to run off with him. Dellarobia, named for a wreath, chooses (c) at the beginning of the story and is on her way to a love nest aka a hunting blind, when she sees something spectacular in front of her. She believes that this is a sign to change her life.
That is how the story begins and then we are introduced to the rest of the characters; Cub, her husband's nickname because his father is called Bear. Bear the father-in-law who is strapped for cash and wants things done his way, his wife Hester, who dislikes Dellarobia, the children Preston and Cordie, who are smart and need a better educational system, especially Preston. Then there are friends, a minister and scientist who come to observe and record what Dellarobia has seen in the woods.
I was happy to follow these characters and how they developed through-out the book. There are definitely flight behaviors as the title suggests with humans as well as with the butterfly being observed. I love a book that allows me to learn more about a subject that interests me. Well written, nice story and I was not sure how it was going to end, which is always a plus. Makes you think, how would I handle myself in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment