Tuesday, January 8, 2013

"All The Pretty Horses" complete

I have finally finished All The Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy. In my last blog I talked about leaving John Grady Cole in the middle of being rousted out of bed by men with guns. My assumption it was because he was sleeping with the bosses daughter or because of a young man named Jimmy Blevins. It ws actually a combination of the two. The men had come to talk with the owner of the farm previously about horse rustler's and he told them to wait until he had further information about John Grady. The daughter spilled the beans about them sleeping together, that was all that was needed to let the "deputies" come for John Grady and his friend Rawlins.

This book is full of adventure and if you want to practice your Spanish, this is a good book to read. There are many times that the John Grady who is fluent in Spanish talks to the Mexican people without explaining what he is saying. Sometimes you can get a gist of what is being said, but other times I wished I had my Spanish dictionary by my side.

The book I read is the first book in The Border Trilogy. Mr. McCarthy first published All the Pretty Horses in 1992. The other books in the series are The Crossing, published in 1994 and Cities of the Plain, published in 1998. They were published as one book in 1999 by  Everyman's Library by Alfred A. Knopf.

I have not read the others in the trilogy as I am bound and determined to read my 100 books initailly placed in the challenge. But I may get my Spanish dictionary out again this summer and read the other two books. Also, It needs to get back to the library.

My next book is All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment