Friday, January 25, 2013

Reading dilemma

Have you ever had one of those weeks when electricty, electronics and life makes you crazy. Well that has been the whole month of January, actually December jumps in the fray as well. Between power outages, garage building and computer glitches, I have been stymied in my attempts to read or write. All the King's Men still resides on my table, to be finished. If my writing course is cancelled tonight my goal is to curl up with a cup of tea and read. Then, hopefully, I can write a review of this book. What I can tell you about the book which I mentioned before is that this author is very descriptive. When he talks about heading to where he grew up with the Boss, you can almost smell the sea water. As a person who heads further south once a year, the description really jumps out.

His character descriptions paint a lovely picture, so that you are not relying on a movie director to give you the image of the character. For example, the description of Willie Spark, AKA the Boss, when our narrato first meets him.( Found on page 19 of the Book Club edition, 1974.) "His lips were a little bit meaty, but they weren't loose. Not exactly. Maybe at first glance you might think so. You might think he had the mouth like a boy,.....but if you stick around long enough you would see something a little different. You would see that they were hung together, all right, even if they were meaty."

So that is it for now as I have to deal with construction issues. Hopefully, more will be revealed by next week on this book. And I will also be reviewing Uncharted, by Angela Hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment