Friday, February 1, 2013

Sorry

It seems that though I am enjoying All the King's Men, construction on my house has got in the way of reading. I promise that I will finsih this book and move onto my next book read for the 100, by the end of next week. The next book to be reviewed as part of the 100, is Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. I am trying to get all the older books read first.

One thing I love about All the King's Men, are the very southern sayings, for example: "His chances looked about as good as the chances of a flea making a living on a carved marble lion on a monument."(page 62) This is referring to Willie Stark getting elected as Governor.
Another saying was "He had galloping political anemia.", this also refers to Willlie Stark's campaign and his inability to deliver a speech that moved the masses.
On page 78, Sadie, Willie Stark's campaign manager, is talking to our narrator, Jack Burden, about who she prefers to date. Her response to him when he asks if she thinks he is good looking is "I never did go for anybody that reminded me of a box of spilled spaghetti. All elbows and dry rattle."

My next book I will review, from the book club I attend, will be The House of Tynford, by Natasha Solomon.

If you are over 50 and looking for a dog, then read The 50+Dog Owner by Mary Jane Checchi. This is a very informative book, that makes you really think about the type of dog you should get or if you really can handle a dog. It made me realize that if I got a young dog and it lived 10 years would I be able to lift it if I had to take it to the vet or if it got hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment