Thursday, February 6, 2014

Same spot

I am still reading both MONUMENTS MEN and GRAVITY'S RAINBOW. I need to have them both finished by this weekend, as one is due back at the library and one is due to come out in a movie. I can wait to see the movie, but I must return GRAVITY'S RAINBOW by the 10th. I have had this book for too long according to the library and if I do not finish I must buy it. I When I first started reading GRAVITY, I was concerned that I could not keep up with all the organizations, trying to remember what ACHTUNG, S.O.E., BDST, PISCES, plus others meant. It was driving me crazy. In the book a character comes to the same conclusion that there are too many abbreviations to keep straight. Nice to know I have a link to a brief character. I just went online about 5 minutes ago to see what form I could find this book, in case I do not get to finish it this weekend. Is it better to owe a small fine so that I can finish the book or to just go buy the book? As I was looking at my options I found an annotated guide to the book. It had some pages that you could read and I have found that I may be too stupid to get the full meaning of the book. This book as I have said before is 776 pages long. The annotations are 400+ pages long, so you need a separate book just to find all the meanings in the first book. The annotations are more than half of the book. So I will just write my thoughts and then if people disagree they disagree. I do know that there was another book, simply called V by Thomas Pynchon, that came before this book, and that GRAVITY was put on hold so that he could write another book. THis is just stuff I gleaned from the internet. I will look deeper into that as I till my way through the furrows of this book. I will not however write a 400+ guide to the book. I and you do not have time for that. The book was released first in 1973. The edition I am reading is from 2006, Penguin publishing, apparently each publisher has a different way to present the book. Maybe this is why I am so confused when I read this book. Everyone is trying to make it easier but I think this book is confusing and is meant to be confusing. We are talking about WWII, bombs dropping, buildings being blown up while you sleep, everything is crazy, confusing and sometimes dreams are the only way to make sense of such craziness. Maybe this is why they are trying desperately to use peoples visions, just to make sense of war. My two cents worth of understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment