Monday, January 27, 2014

The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel with Bret Witter and Gravity's Rainbow byThomas Pynchon

I know that this may sound nuts but I am reading these together. How you might ask is that going to happen? Well I usually read at least three books at one time. They are stationed all over my house. However, since these two novels are set in the same time period, roughly WWII, I thought what can it hurt. I am already confused by the people in Gravity's Rainbow, why not add another book. GRAVITY'S RAINBOW by Thomas Pynchon has some interesting characters and I think that I need to list them, as I said before. Here are some of those characters, just so you know I am actually trying to read this 776 page book. My family keep saying just read one book, but my mind will not allow me to do that, it simply does not like reading one thing at a time. Characters in GRAVITY"S RAINBOW: Pirate AKA Captain Geoffrey Prentice: Is introduced by the narrator while Pirate is in bed, he saves our next character by jumping out of bed and pushing the bed to the spot where Teddy Bloat falls from above. Pirate is in charge of banana breakfasts which he raises on the roof in place they are billeted in London. HE also is used for his ability to see the future? Teddy Bloat: Spies on fellow named Slothrop and is friends with Slothrop's desk partner, Lt. Oliver (Tantivy) Mucker-Maffick. Slothrop: Lover of the ladies, keeps a map of where he sees or meets them, this is what Bloat is taking pictures of for another person named, Roger Mexico. Slothrop is afraid of not hearing the bomb that could kill him. Apparently there is some history in his family of men dying young and their gravestone inscriptions. Jessica Swanlake is an ATS private who I believe is a girlfriend of Mexico. Roger Mexico receiving the microfilm from Bloat. Only 35 pages in so we are still in character development, if I read 100 pages per day I should be finished by next week. Which still gives me time I think to get MONUMENTS MEN read by the movie release date. It only has 426 pages and character descriptions in the front and the back of the book. This is a book based on a true event so it is a little easier to keep straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment