Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Hundred-Foot Journey, finis

I have been reading books that start off strong in the beginning and then start to fade. I am worried, because I need to see how to write to get maximum effect. It guess I have been reading books where the main character continues on in life so we are abruptly left short of his life. This book would not have a sequel, I think, but you want it to continue. The imagery is lovely and the history brought into the book is equally satisfying. I could even smell what was coming out of the kitchens.

Richard C. Morais did a wonderful job at depicting the characters, but I am not sure the people that they have in the movie fit the characters. I have not seen the movie, so I am not sure I can accurately make this statement. They may bring the characters to life, I will just have to go and see. I am glad that he got to honor his friend Ismail Merchant with an actual movie.

It is a read where you do not need to rack your brain and try to figure out the talk of the time, or  too many foreign language quotes, though it take place in France. Once I was able to sit down and read, it only took me a couple of days to finish the book. I definitely wanted both French and Indian cuisine when I finished reading. I had heard that chefs do not have lots of time, once they open their restaurants and that is evident in the fact that only death seems to bring Hassan back home. Fortunately he has his sister with him, but at the end you realize that the rest of his sister and brothers are scattered to the winds, so I guess there is no going back. But what will happen with him and Margaret?

My copy of the book has the movie characters on front, but the original copyright is 2008. My copy is the 2014 version from Scribner, a division of Simon and Schuster, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment