Sunday, August 17, 2014

Unending

Did you ever have one of those books that you enjoyed reading, but wanted to get to the end? Well that is the book I am reading right now. It is the book by Samuel Butler, THE WAY OF ALL FLESH. I keep thinking surely this is the end, but it keeps going. I know I should be able to see the pages and know it is still not ended, but I look and the book just looks like it got bigger. Of course, it could also be my eyes are just numb from the small print. Anyway, in the midst of this book, I realized that I had not read my book club book, so I put this book aside to read that book. I will describe that book below. I have to say that both books deal with some pretty bad parenting techniques, but that is about as close as they come. I am also about half-way through THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY, but should be finished it by Sunday.

What book did I read for book club? LIFE ON THE COLOR LINE, The True Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black, by Gregory Howard Williams. Truly a fascinating book about Gregory Howard Williams life. I was cannot imagine how hard this had to have been for him and his brother. I wanted to shake not only his mother, but her parents and relatives. The father was no better, but at least he was there, even if it was on the other side of a bottle. The time the 50's and 60's, the problem as the title suggests, what do you do if you look white but are considered black because of an interracial marriage?
This made me think of the time my study buddy and I were in my dorm room, door open, and another boy who was just a little stalkish came by and made a big deal of a black man in my room, that was 1978. Needless to say I shut the door in his face and told him to leave me alone. Then we got back to studying. The problem was it put a wedge between me and my friend, because everyone seemed to think this was a bad idea. Since we were not in the same class next semester, I did not hang out with him. I found him in classmates and he has a lovely family, but I wish I had handled things differently. It may have been seen as an attempt not to draw notice to myself, instead of my attempt to tell someone that they were an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment