Monday, October 13, 2014

1/4 through

I am currently 1/4 of the way through SONS AND LOVERS by D.H. Lawrence. The thing I like about this book so far is that it is set in Nottinghamshire, where my daughter just finished a Masters Degree. I went to visit her twice and went to Sherwood Forest and saw the castle on the hill up from the train station. I even road the train from London to Nottingham and from Nottingham to York. It is know your surroundings while you read a book. My son, daughter and I even did a few pub crawls while in Nottingham. I keep hoping that he would mention some of the older pubs that we went to while we were there.

D.H. Lawrence went to the University of Nottingham though it was in another location and had a different name University College Nottingham. They hold a collection of his works. Again fun to be apart of history and recognize a location.

Being a mother I am intrigued by this book and again I am only 1/4 of the way through, but I have done some of the things that Mrs. Morel has done, like disapprove of a girl that my son has brought home. However, my son never once did what William did and criticize the girl and tell his mother that he hated the woman he was involved with. William I think was embarrassed by not only his family but his girlfriend, what person has not dealt with those emotions.

The father Morel is in a loveless marriage and it shows in how he treats everyone in the family. I know a person like this, he was a mean drunk and pity the fool who got in his line of sight. Many a times we had to intervene between my stepfather and mother. It is rare to have incite into a book when you have been in similar situations.

I am not sure where the book is going in regards to the relationship between Paul and his mom, but some of the passages make me wonder where D.H. Lawrence is heading. Paul certainly says things that seem awkward to me such as "I say, little woman, how lovely!" (pg. 437-kindle) and "Awfully! You ARE a fine little woman to go jaunting out with." (pg. 440). Neither of these things would I expect my son to say. Fine little woman, instead of mom, it is like he is going out with a girl. All around these two passages are flirtatious remarks.

Well, back to reading and hopefully some better understanding of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment