Friday, October 10, 2014

Calling Invisible Women-review

CALLING INVISIBLE WOMEN, by Jeanne Ray B\D\W\Y Broadway Books, New York, Random House copyright 2012 by Rosedog, LLC.

I thought I might just make this blank so that you would think the writing was invisible, to bad you cannot mimic the lemon water trick on the computer.

I suggested this book for book club back in January or February of 2014, I was feeling quite invisible when I read the first few pages I was hooked. But I did not read the book until October so that would be fresh in my  mind for book club. The other lesser reason I picked the book is that I host book club right before Halloween, and who want a book about invisible women close to Halloween. I think both reasons paid off, because I finished the book and I think it works perfectly.

So the question is how would you feel if you became invisible in your household and nobody notices? While I was reading this book I had to laugh several times because it is so true. At breakfast my husband puts his head either into his paper or his computer before he goes to work, he will talk but seldom looks up, so would he notice? Also, there are many times, I am quietly reading or working and my husband or children will walk right past me calling for me, so did I become invisible?
I thought it was thought provoking which is one of my criteria for a book.

I also like some of the quotes:
From Irene the mother-in-law, "Invisibility can be an impediment or a power depending on what you decide to do with it." (pg. 89-90 on my I-pad)

I liked this because I thought what would I do if I were invisible, would I stay locked up in the house or would I go on an adventure? I would hope to be adventurous, finding problems and correcting them.
One of the things I would have done, if I had the power to be invisible in the book, would have been to remove the products that would have caused me to be invisible off the pharmacy shelves and not wait for the company to do it. That would have certainly made the reps sit up and take notice.

If you are feeling invisible and want a fun book that makes you think pick up this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment