Saturday, November 29, 2014

Review: WILD by Cheryl Strayed

WILD From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed was published in 2012 by Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc., New York and also in Canada by Random House Canada Limited, Toronto.

This adventure is true and based on the life of Cheryl Strayed after a death, adultery, divorce and heroine fascination. It is a true finding oneself while traveling on a trail that is not heard about hear on the East Coast as much. Over here on this side of the USA we tend to think about the AT or Appalachian Trail which runs from Georgia to Maine. So I was intrigued by the fact that there was a PCT or Pacific Crest Trail.

If you are going to do this type of hiking I think this would be a good book to read. As a woman I do not know if I would have attempted this by myself. I have always traveled with a companion. In the book, Cheryl does meet several trail hikers and forms a bond. They are inspired by her and she is inspired by them. I wonder if I traveled with someone on a trail whether I would give up if they wanted to stop. Maybe it would be a good idea to be on ones own, not to be pressured to stop or go on if you were feeling really vulnerable.

I was surprised she met only good folks with good intentions, except for a couple of times. The book lets you know the pratfalls of not being prepared, ill fitting equipment and how to make sure the boxes you ship to yourself actually make it in time.

The real story of course is the feeling of being lost in life. Not finding what you are looking for in the relationships that push you out into a world of exploration. I am not sure my natural thoughts after the bad events that happened in my life would be to hike a trail. I probably would be more of a run away to Europe for a month or drive across country type. I think that I would be to chicken to walk on a trail without a companion, no matter how much I could reflect on life without other input. Maybe a cabin in the woods with running water, showers and a fireplace would be a good compromise.

I liked the book it took her over 18 years to put this adventure into book form, I think it would be difficult to put your life on a plate for others to push around with their forks. I liked that she found herself in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment