Saturday, February 14, 2015

Review: The House I Loved by Tatiana De Rosnay

THE HOUSE I LOVED by Tatiana De Rosnay published by St. Martin's Press, New York in 2012. This book is set in Paris at the time of Napoleon's Empire and has to do with the modernization of Paris. The removal of small city streets to make way for the huge boulevards that we see in Paris today. When I was in Paris in the 1980's I stayed in a inn that was down one of these small streets, not all streets were widened. At the time I felt like I was going down an alley, it was so narrow compared to the other streets. I had not realized about the reformation and what it did to Paris. So here is the thing, I enjoyed the open spaces of Paris. This side street scared me, it felt so dark and devoid of sunshine. Maybe the street that this story takes place Rue Childebert is not like the street that I was on, maybe it was wider and there was some sunshine.

This book is a letter to Madam Roses late husband Armand, who was born, raised, married and died in the house. He felt the house would be safe from the destruction that was occurring Paris, due to it's location. Madam Rose is tells her life in this letter she is writing to Armand in the cellar of their house, where she has locked herself away.

I had every emotion possible while reading the book. I am still angry and sad. When I read the story I could see someone I know and love being like this, to a point. I do know that I wanted to shake Rose and her companions. I wanted the ending, well I cannot say more, for fear of giving away the ending. I do think the author's choice of books that Rose read and liked were appropriate for the book. It makes me want to read MADAM BOVARY, I think one of the 100, and THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER, again. This will be a very interesting book club discussion, I cannot wait to vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment