Thursday, March 19, 2015

Review: AS CHIMNEY SWEEPERS COME TO DUST, by Alan Bradley

AS CHIMNEY SWEEPERS COME TO DUST by Alan Bradley, published 2015 by Delacorte Press an imprint of Random House. I love this series, it is about  precocious Flavia de Luce, who is a bit more than an amateur detective and has not yet come  into her teens. She is the daughter of deceased Harriet de Luce. In this story she is away from her home in England and her family Dad, two sisters, her favorite person Dogger. She wants nothing more than to go home, but not before she solves the mystery of the body in the chimney that falls out the first night she is at Miss Bodycote's Female Academy in Canada. How did she get there, well you would have to read the first books in the series. Does she get her wish to go home? Well, that means you have to read this book. As with all the books, which are all different, no repeat plots except for finding a body in an unusual location. These books are funny and entertaining, with just a touch of sadness thrown in for Flavia. A wild chemist who dabbles with the idea of how to get back at her sisters or the people at school with just a smidge of chemistry. Her specialty is poisons.
I believe I wrote once before about this series, as a budding chemist growing up, I did not have a laboratory but a lavatory. I brewed all sorts of concoctions in my house. It is a wonder that I did not blow up the house or rot out the pipes. These books can be found in the adult mysteries, but I think a precocious 13 year old could handle them. I know I would have loved them. A quick read as you do not wish to put it down until you find out how Flavia deduces the murderer.
There are 7 books in this series so far, starting with THE SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE. There is also a story on Kindle, which I need to read yet called THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE COPPER CORPSE. Have fun reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment