Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

I just finished UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand, paperback version, published by Random House, Trade Paperbacks. Originally published in 2010, this copy was published in 2014.

Wow, so many emotions went through me as I read this book. I thought I would pick it up, read a few pages, put it down and just finish it before book club at the end of the month. However, what happened is I picked it up this weekend and could not put the book down. I wanted to be there to support the men fighting for there lives. I cried several times throughout the book. Anger for the treatment of the POW's. Two days later and I was finished with the book, but there are pictures and stories that will haunt me, just as pictures of captives in Germany make me sad. So thin, so gaunt, so hungry.

We always hear about the tragedies in Europe, but this book brought information that I never realized, one being the amnesty granted to war criminals, for the price having allies. I knew that we did something, but I did not realize it was that. It makes me sad to think that these people were allowed to live their lives as if they did no harm. But I think all war time crimes are intolerable, no matter who participates. All the people who go to war do it for the reason they deem important, it is always one groups and in some instances one persons philosophy that pulls whole nations into war.

When we fight wars is there ever, really a clear winner. In this book we "won", but so many died, so many lost their way, so many families changed. But then we saved so many people. War is always a bitter pill to swallow. Thank you Laura for bringing this side of the WWII to the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment