Monday, May 18, 2015

Book: Review Does This Church Make Me Look Fat?

DOES THIS CHURCH MAKE ME LOOK FAT? by Rhoda Janzen, published by Grand Central Publishing, October 2012.
 This is a book not only about religion, but also relationships with each other, God, and cancer. As a cancer survivor and finding my strength through prayer, God and the people around me I loved this book. The humor is spot on, I remember my days of chemo, surgeries and radiation and feeling the warmth of God descending on my shoulders in those troublesome times. My family, friends and church family rallied around me, and through it all there were definitely humor. You have to laugh, or you cry.
Back to the book and enough about me. I loved the descriptions of the people, especially her boyfriend/husband and his family. The recalling of why she moved away from faith and the embracing of faith with the right person. I think it makes all the difference in the world if you have someone to share your questions and thoughts with, without fear of rejection. The world is full of God instances, you just have to be open to them, for instance, as I was reading this book I was also preparing a Sunday School lesson for adults. I had put down my lesson, and picked up my copy of this book and started reading, my lesson was about the Gifts of the Spirit and chapter 7 in DOES THIS CHURCH MAKE ME LOOK FAT? is about Mitch and Rhoda doing a questionnaire called "Know Your Spiritual Gifts". I thought it worked perfectly with my lesson, so I talked about the book during my lesson.

A good eye-opening book about the fact that you can go back to church, you can survive cancer and you can change your life with just a little faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment