Monday, March 17, 2014

A Long Way Down: Finished

I have completed A LONG WAY DOWN by Nick Hornby. This book was published in 2005 by Riverhead Books a Penguin Group. This is a very amusing but troublesome book because it deals with suicide. I will not spoil details but in my last blog I tell you about 4 people who meet on a roof, thinking that they will be the only one trying to commit suicide. From that point on they make dates in the future and start hanging out together. In some ways it puts suicide in perspective, you do not know who you are going to meet and what their circumstances are that would lead them to kill themselves. I had a professor of Psychology in college who received a note from his friend saying he as going to kill himself, immediately upon receiving this letter my professor called his friend. He missed him by an hour. Suicide is not funny, but this book looks at relationships, misunderstandings and the character of 4 people who become friends. That is the part that is amusing. To anyone out there thinking this is the route, find someone, talk to them and make a date in the future to talk to them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment