Thursday, March 27, 2014

A HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE (Midway), plus two other books.

I am in the midst of A HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE, it is an interesting book, rich with characters and history in this small town. I am enjoying it immensely and will have further review when I have finished the book. I am trying to guess what could possibly happen next, we have had science, pregnancies, deaths, unexplained relatives, firing squads, revolutions, premonitions, seers and gypsies. All brought forth in interesting manners. The only difficulties is keeping the names straight as they are very similar to one another, except Ursala and Rebeca. Lots of variations of Arcadia or people with that as part of their name. Also, we see into the future as well as the past, which s all being experienced at the same time as the present. A little confusing, but it is manageable, just have to connect the dots sometimes. Other books I have read: THE EARL CLAIMS HIS WIFE by Cathy Maxwell, this was a fast read. It is a romance novel and the author is going to be speaking at our Book and Author dinner. She weaves a nice tail of betrayal and hurt feelings, with some sexual tension. Not a bad book, but I have to say I am a fan of Kathleen Woodiwiss's romance novels because they are full of history, which I did not get much of in Cathy Maxwell's book. AMAZONIA by James Rollins, another author speaking at the book and author dinner. This is an adventure that takes place as you can seen the Amazon. I really liked this book and get a chance to sit with this author over dinner. He takes you into the jungle with these fantastic genetically modified creatures, a tree that uses existing and past life to create these creatures, a very intelligent tree. The story is woven well and there is death and mayhem throughout. I liked so much that I have taken out some of his other books from the library. SPEAKING FROM THE BONES by Alan Bradley, this is a Flavia Deluce Novel. She is still 11, but is having some emotional turmoil because their life is changing drastically and of course there is another murder. I just finished this book, 5 minutes ago and found out that it definitely has a sequel which is the new book THE DEAD IN THEIR VAULTED ARCHES. The last words in SPEAKING FROM THE BONES is............ Did you really think I would tell you. Read it yourself and find out. But if you are going to read this book, read the first one and work your way through all 6 books.

No comments:

Post a Comment