Monday, March 3, 2014

Howard's End and misc. stuff

My next book of the Reading the 100 is HOWARDS END by E.M. Forster, first published in 1910. The edition I am reading was published by Alfred A. Knopf, in an edition called Everyman's Library. There is an introduction by Alfred Kazin. I will not read the introduction until after I read the book, so that I will not be swayed by any commentary. The book has 359 pages without counting the introduction, but it has wide margins and is no bigger than a paperback. So I feel that this is going to be read by this coming weekend. Also I love the quote at the front page before the title page, I usually call this the front piece but I am not sure if this is a quote associated with the book or the Everyman's Library. Here it is: EVERYMAN, I WILL GO WITH THEE, AND BE THY GUIDE, IN THY MOST NEED, TO GO BY THY SIDE Okay so I went online and found that this is the quote by the EVERYMAN'S LIBRARY people. I like it, maybe I should start trying to collect their books, the originals. I am also will be starting WINTERS TALE and SNOW CHILD this week. I think that there is a new challenge for book reading but this is how many books do you think you will read in 2014, I am going to make an estimate of 75. So far I have read 7 books in 2014: THE WEED THAT STRINGS THE HANGMAN'S BAG by Alan Bradley THE ORCHID HOUSE by Lucinda Riley STILL LIFE by Louise Penny ORPHAN TRAIN by Christina Baker Kline GRAVITY'S RAINBOW by Thomas Pynchon MONUMENTS MEN by Robert M Edsel LABOR DAY by Joyce Maynard 75 should be easy since I have 9 books for my book club, though I did read one already, the 42 of the 100, 10 for the movie challenge and my personal reading should get me to that magical 75 number. I will keep you posted on that as well, 68 more books to read this year. For the movie challenge I am a little behind, since I wanted to finish GRAVITY'S RAINBOW and MONUMENTS MEN, two large books I put off reading WINTER'S TALE, so I missed the movie coming out deadline, and as mentioned before decided since I was not going to see the movie I did not read VAMPIRE ACADEMY. I may miss another movie deadline but then I should be good for all the others. A LONG WAY DOWN comes out this week and I do not have that book. All the other books I have either read or the movie does not come out until after May. Three cheers to snow, reading and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment