Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Midway ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE

I am drawn into this book and the philosophy found within its pages. Not all the philosophy for I found myself going along and then stumbling, thinking I was on board until that last section. I just finished a passage in page 189-190 of my book where he talks about the ego-climber versus the selfless climber and I am able to equate that to when I go hiking with my family. The ego-hiker to change the wording is interested in getting to the finish of the hike looking to see how fast they can go without taking in nature, and the selfless hiker I think wants to learn more about what he sees around him. Not try to get from point A to B without finding something in nature. I think my family is a combination of both, we start out as selfless hikers. We have brought books to identify plants, fungi and animals, cameras for documentation and we take our time, looking around. But by the end of the day, we have put our things away and work real hard to get back to the campground or car before the light fades among the trees. We have invited friends on our hikes but it becomes a race for them, they think a hike means to go as fast as you can to get to the end of the trail. They openly say "We beat you." We always say "We didn't know it was a race." It is especially bad for my kids who are torn between catching up with friends and hanging back with good ol' mom and dad.

I still have a bit to read but it is getting done, but maybe I want to be a selfless reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment