Sunday, April 13, 2014

Maltese Falcon

Now that I have finished ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE, I am well on my way to finishing the THE MALTESE FALCON, by Dashiell Hammett. In between time I have read and listened to the following books, AMAZONIA, by James Rollins, SPEAKING FROM AMONG THE BONES, by Alan Bradley, THE LAND OF MANGO SUNSETS, by Dorothea Benton Frank. Books I listened to while traveling included ALTARS OF EDEN, by James Rollins and THE DEAD IN THEIR VAULTED ARCHES, by Alan Bradley. I love to travel and listen to books. It passes the time, but sometimes I find myself paying more attention to the book than the road. That is usually when I tell my husband it is his turn to drive. Since both of us read the Alan Bradley books, I got him hooked, we figured we would listen to his last book together. I was not as impressed with this one as I was with his previous books, but towards the end it really picked up, the beginning was just a little slow. James Rollins was a guest speaker at the RAMA Book and Author dinner, so I had to read some of his books before the event. I have not read his Sigma series but some of his stand alones. The audio I listened to was also a stand alone. His books combine some of my favorite things, mystery and science, specifically genetics. Genetic mutations, treks in foreign places, death, mystery all the things to make a thriller. Plus I got to sit with him at dinner and he was great. Dorothea Benton Frank is an author who I like to read when I go to the beach, more specifically when I go to Hilton Head. But I am afraid that I had read this one before, so I was disappointed, but I read it anyway. I should have looked at my reading list. The MALTESE FALCON, was started before I went on vacation, but I could not find it while I was packing so it got left behind. It is a fun book, Sam Spade, womanizer, private eye. I will have to watch the movie and also look up the significance of this novel and the genre of mystery. After this book I will start TO THE LIGHTHOUSE, by Virginia Woolf and A FAULT IN OUR STARS, by John Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment