Thursday, April 24, 2014

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS-finished

I just finished reading THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, by John Green. This book can be found in the young adult section of a bookstore or in the library. It was published in 2012 by Dutton Books, PENGUIN GROUP. The book is dedicated to Esther Earl a 16 year old, who died of thyroid cancer. The book is written about a 16 year old girl, Hazel with thyroid cancer with mets in her lungs. She goes to Support group after being coerced by her mother, where she meets a boy named Augustus Waters. They develop a friendship and love, that helps them through the worst of times. They are on a mission to find out what happened to characters in a book called An Imperial Affliction by an author named Peter Van Houten, it is this quest that brings them closer together and Hazel's attitude about her condition. I will not be going to see this in a movie theater, this movie will be viewed best in my own home with Kleenex nearby. I hope that the young people who read this understand that these are true emotions. Death happens all the time. Cancer, unfortunately, plays among us, it is not fun, speaking from my own knowledge, but it is even more sinister when it takes a young person. I like Hazel's character she is feisty, she knows what is going to happen to her, she does not put up with platitudes from others. She gets strength from the relationships that are near and dear to her. Good book, if you read it, have tissues handy, especially if you have a propensity to cry. I cried when Miss Jane Pittman took a drink from a water fountain, and when The Champ died on the boxing table. My sister however, laughed at me, so now when I feel the need for a good cry I move to another room and then come back. This book is one of the 16 to be read before it comes out in the movies, not one of the hundred I am supposed to be reading. The next on that list is THE GOOD SOLDIER, by Ford Madox Ford.

No comments:

Post a Comment